Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Free tools and software for IT student

Ok this will be my first attempt to list the free tools I commonly used. I hope I could list them all, I personaly use these software. In each category, I will be arranging them from favorite down to all other known. If you want to know about these tools, just google them, I will not provide here their sites and download page.

Editor:
- Notepad++ (multi language editor i.e C++, PHP, ASP, SH, PY, Assembly, Java, Javascript, Pascal, Perl, etc). This also install perfect on Linux using wine.
- PHP Designer (Personal is free for none commercial, neat color scheme)
- Eclipse (Multi Language install on Windows and Linux, its java based), though I find this one resource eater.

Operating System
- Linux CentOS
- Linux Kubuntu (Ubuntu)

Database:
- MySQL Server
- Mysql GUI/IDE's made by Mysql

Http Server:
- Apache

Scripting interpreter:
- PHP
- Java

Compiler:
- GCC

Browser:
- Chrome (good debugging features)
- Firefox (install firebug for debugging features, wide extensions to choose from)

Email Client:
- Thunder Bird

Others:
- Xampp/Lampp: This is one of the easiest installer the could install apache, php, tomcat and perl just by few clicks. Xampp for windows and Lampp for linux.
- Skype: Best quality in terms of voice and video from the rest if IM client
- Google Desktop: Multi usage (find the gadget you like), it surpases the default sidebar of Vista.
- FlashGet: Download manager (best to have this first before downloading the other tools).


I think that are enough to create a good system. I will followup this Free Tools and Software soon, but the next one is for all users and not limited to IT student.

No comments: